Hacked a Series VI hood last night, and while it might work, it’s efficacy is definitely diminished. Needed something better, ’cause the Optar likes to flare. Couldn’t find a reasonable wide angle hood anywhere, and I wanted to avoid buying multiple adapters to stack to get me a hood. What to do?
So, I got to thinking. Looked around at foam cups and such, but nothing had the right profile. Then I dug through the recycle bin.
The top looked like it might work. I cut it off.
I thought I could make an opening in the top that nests behind the Series VI adapter and glue it in place with some hot melt. So, I started trimming.
That looked about right. Tested it with the adapter, and it’s a nice fit. But clear obviously wasn’t going to work. Dug out the multi-surface flat black spray paint.
A few more coats of paint, and a few on the outside, finished the hood. Hot melt glue is easy; attaching the hood to the Series VI adapter was a matter of injecting lots of glue.
To do it again, I’d reverse the order of the cutting, and use a bandsaw to make the cuts smoother. But, for twenty minute’s work, I have a usable hood that doesn’t vignette at all!